CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Changing Already!

Okay -- so I have so many thoughts and so many hopes that people are going to jump on board that I've decided to change things up a bit. I'm going to try to post five posts a week instead of just one (I was thinking about time; but I think I can recruit help from others and get five). Here is one from my friend, Mike (I think I'll include Daddies from here on out! This is GREAT!!!!):

How many times do you use the excuse that you "don't have time to workout today"?

Well, I know for many people this is a frequent excuse, and with super-busy schedules these days, it's not a surprise. However, there ARE still ways to make sure you do something to stimulate your metabolism, increase your heart rate, and work your full body muscles, all in less than 5 minutes.

Since you can do this in only 5 minutes/day, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for not at least getting in some sort of workout. Now I don't recommend this being your only form of workout as you'll still want other variety, but for those extra busy days where you just can't find the time, this will keep you on track.

Set aside 5 minutes either in the morning before work, on your lunch break, or after work for this "mini-workout".

What you can do is this:

Grab a dumbbell or kettlebell (if you have one at your house). If you don't have a dbell or kbell, I have an alternate below.

Now spend 5 minutes doing as many reps as you can of 1-arm dbell or kettlebell swings alternated with 1-arm snatches.

After 60-90 seconds, most people will start to slow down, so start taking 10 second breaks to catch your breath enough to do another 5-6 swings and snatches with each arm. Keep alternated as many reps as you can get of each exercise with 10 second mini-rests.

Get as many reps as you can in 5 minutes. We're going for as much work accomplished as possible in these 5 minutes!

If you do this with intensity, you'll have worked your entire body VERY thoroughly in only 5 minutes and will be huffing and puffing for breath.

If all you've got is 5 minutes, this is a great way to really "shock" your body into increasing metabolic rate. And there's really no way that you can't fit at least a 5-minute workout into your daily schedule no matter how hectic the day is.

If you don't have a dumbbell or kettlebell available, you can substitute any 2 of these exercises alternated with one another for the 5 minutes:

bodyweight squats
lunges
jump squats
jump lunges
pushups

If you're not familiar with any of the exercises mentioned in this article, make sure you get a copy of the Truth about Six Pack Abs, and you'll see everything in detail.

Thanks, Mike!!!!
____________________________

I have just a few thoughts to add to this. If you don't have dumbbells, use CANS OF SOUP or BAKED BEANS or whatever else you have around the house (or just invest in a few low-weight dumbbells from Wal-Mart (that's what I've decided to do). BUT, even if you can't afford it right now, get the heaviest can of whatever that you have and can still safely lift. The other day, my friend Anna came over and we decided to do a workout video together, but I only had one set of hand weights (held together by duct tape, I might add). So - she used the Progresso lentil soup and still got a good workout.

Second of all, if you are NOT familiar with these exercises, just go and do a search online. Some GREAT resources, especially if you are pregnant, include BabyFit.com, Baby Center, and What to Expect.com. My favorite, favorite, FAVORITE for pregnant mommies is BabyFit. I have actually been tempted to go and pretend I'm pregnant again just to get the GREAT nutrition and exercise benefits available there. But, wait, I just logged on and can still ACCESS EVERYTHING without having to be PREGNANT again! Now THAT'S amazing. If you aren't pregnant, check out bodyforlife.com. I think you can see all the exercises there.

ALSO -- if you aren't familiar with how to do lunges and squats properly, BE CAREFUL so you don't injure yourself. Have someone check you and/or hold your knees for you while you are learning. If it hurts (more than the muscles), you're doing something wrong.

Third of all -- if you're like me, push-ups may NOT QUITE BE YOUR THING YET. To my military husband's chagrine, I'm not a push-up master! HOWEVER, I am going to be; I have no reason NOT to be. If you can't do "man push-ups" (full body push-ups), do "girl push-ups" (push-ups on your knees with your legs bent and feet crossed at the ankle -- and a baby blanket or something folded under your knees if you have hard floors). If even THAT doesn't work for you, do WALL PUSH-UPS!!!! Pregnant mommies -- if that belly isn't too much in the way yet, do the wall push-ups! It's great! My sister introduced me to these, and you STILL GET GREAT BENEFITS if you are doing them correctly and can slowly build up.

Incidentally, you'll be amazed at how QUICKLY your body responds as you push it just a little bit further each time. I can do twice as many push-ups today with 1/2 the energy as I could a month ago. So -- the main point here is that EVERYONE CAN DO SOMETHING! And if you want TO BE ABLE TO DO IT, YOU HAVE TO DO IT!!!!!

1 comments:

Marshall party of 5

Hi-Monique here, the sister :)

I watched a youtube video with a fitness instructor (nikkifitness.com) who described that there were many levels of a push-up, and to work into each level, don't think you can/have to do a 'full' push-up to get results. the first level is a wall push-up, as Melinda described. The next level is using a chair or a park bench (depending on where you are) You use the back of the chair/park bench to increase (decrease?) your angle, making the push up slightly harder. Level 3 is a 'girl' push up on your knees, and the final level is a full push up. As you can see, there is a lot of room to grow in this one exercise, but each level still works those arms, and your core. If you don't feel it in your core, change your angle, push-ups are NOT just for your arms...

Post a Comment