CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, October 23, 2009

Outlining SUCCESS!


I was reading on Brian Tracy's blog. He wrote The Miracle of Self-Discipline, which I actually have not read, but my friend Carrie has read it and applied it to her weight-loss goals and is experiencing incredible success. So, I checked it out online and found his blog and these great tips on making things happen for yourself:

1) Decide What You Want
Step number one, decide exactly what it is you want in each part of your life. Become a "meaningful specific" rather than a "wandering generality."
* I have done this before, but I am going to start over and do it again.  What I want is to wear by wedding dinner outfit on my anniversary on December 15.

2) Write it Down
Second, write it down, clearly and in detail. Always think on paper. A goal that is not in writing is not a goal at all. It is merely a wish and it has no energy behind it.
* I just did!  I'll do it again!  I want to wear my wedding dinner outfit on my anniversary on Dec. 15.



3) Set A Deadline
Third, set a deadline for your goal. A deadline acts as a "forcing system" in your subconscious mind. It motivates you to do the things necessary to make your goal come true. If it is a big enough goal, set sub-deadlines as well. Don’t leave this to chance.
* Cool - repetition is good, right?  December 15 -- my 2nd Anniversary!


4) Make A List
Fourth, make a list of everything that you can think of that you are going to have to do to achieve your goal. When you think of new tasks and activities, write them on your list until your list is complete.
* Exercise every day.
* Go to the gym and include weight training in my routine.
* Continue to cut back on calories by staying within my daily calorie range.
* Make extra sacrifices like cutting out sugar and not over-indulging when life makes it so easy.
* Drink a lot of water.
* Stop eating early so that I don't pack on extra calories in the late and often sedentary evening time and/or night time snacking.
* Get adequate sleep.
* Keep a food journal.
* Keep an exercise journal.

5) Organize Your List
Fifth, organize your list into a plan. Decide what you will have to do first and what you will have to do second. Decide what is more important and what is less important. And then write out your plan on paper, the same way you would develop a blueprint to build your dream house.
I think it's pretty organized.  Some particulars about the exercise/healthy eating portion:

* Exercise every day.
* Go to the gym and include weight training in my routine.
For these two, I am training to run a half-marathon in St. George, Utah on January 23.  That means running when the weather is bad and/or I don't feel like it; making my "rest" days work as much for me as my "run" days by doing weight-training exercises to strengthen and tone my muscles, eating well-balanced meals and taking a vitamin supplement, and staying positive about my ability to DO this and succeed.


6) Take Action
The sixth step is for you to take action on your plan. Do something. Do anything. But get busy. Get going.
*Already on it -- revisit this one if I am tempted to stop!


7) Do Something Every Day
Do something every single day that moves you in the direction of your most important goal at the moment. Develop the discipline of doing something 365 days each year that is moving you forward. You will be absolutely astonished at how much you accomplish when you utilize this formula in your life every single day.
* I think this one is going to have to be my focus on running a half-marathon in January.  Even rest days are work days towards your ultimate goal.  And keeping a journal of what I am eating/doing will help me look back and see how far I have come.

Action Exercises
Here are two things you can do to put these ideas into action immediately.
1) Decide exactly what you want, write it down with a deadline, make a plan and take action - on at least one goal - today!

2) Determine the price you will have to pay to achieve this goal and then get busy paying that price - whatever it is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment